As some of you may or may not know, I recently moved to a self-hosting platform. On the first go I lost all my followers. On the second go most of my followers moved over with me. Now that I have moved back here all of my lost followers have reappeared and my new followers came over too! Such a relief.
After a few days of missing all my lovely follower friends I decided to switch back to wordpress.com.
Pros and Cons of Self hosting:
1) You can use any blog theme you want. You can customize as much as you like!
2) If you want to monetize your blog you can place ads and affiliate links on it.
1) You start all over again with your stats.
2) It can be expensive finding a host.
3) You are no longer on the wordpress community/reader section. So it can be hard for followers to find you or to get new followers to follow you blog.
It was a little bit too much work for me. I liked having the freedom of having whatever blog theme I wanted, but it was to technological for me.